So you want more Twitter followers eh?
Read on, and I’ll show you how to gain an average of 3,400 new followers a month, while attracting more than 16,000 profile hits at the same time.
Twitter is a powerhouse for creating traction for whatever product / blog / event you are trying to gain exposure for. You certainly need a strong following to ensure maximum exposure, and that is what this tutorial is all about creating.
Oh and these followers will all be targeted, meaning they will be directly interested and located right inside the market niche in which you are serving. So they will be undoubtedly interested in your tweets!
The Proof.. !
I have basically written a script (in PHP for code heads) that will communicate with Twitter, following user’s of a particular Twitter user (who we have chosen). The script will also unfollow user’s who are not following you back when your followers to follower ratio get’s too high.
The script makes use of the Twitter API to effortlessly make all this possible.
So, essentially the script can;
- Follow users who are following another user (who you can choose).
- Unfollow users who are not following you back.
- Set the max delay in seconds between api requests when following or unfollowing (ensuring you keep within Twitter’s follow frequency limit).
- Set the max amount of users to unfollow in one run of this script.
- Set the max amount of users to follow in one run of this script.
How to Set-Up the Script
Part 1: Get the script I wrote
- Go to https://github.com/JoeyTawadrous/Twitter-Auto-Pilot
- Download the script by pressing the ‘Download ZIP’ button on the right of the page.
- Unzip the downloaded file.
- You will see something like this….
- Create a copy of one of the folders in the pilots folder (e.g applandr) (name the copied folder anything you like)
- Open up the index.php file in the copied folder (we will need to copy our Twitter keys into this file in a moment)
Part 2: Create your Twitter app (that will provide the keys needed to do all the communication between your script and Twitter)
- Create a new twitter app at https://apps.twitter.com
- Browse to your newly created app (on https://apps.twitter.com) and press the ‘Keys and Access Tokens’ tab. You will see something like the following.
- Copy in your four keys above (Consumer Key & Secret and Access Token & Secret) to your newly created file from part 1 (index.php)
- Good job – give yourself a pat on the back! We’re almost there.
Part 3: Optional – Set which user whose followers you would like to follow
Ok so this part it really important if you only want to follow users with a certain interest. For example, if your a fan of technology (and write various tech related blog posts, and would like exposure / hits), then you would perhaps like to follow the followers of Elon Musk. Read on below and I’ll show you how!
- Open up TwitterAutoPilot.php (You can use notepad / sublime / any text editor for this) so that you can modify its text)
- This file is in the folder you downloaded from Github (and is also in a picture above).
- The file is going to look something like the following (depending on which text editor you use the colours will be different).
- So the following is the line you want to edit:
- Simply replace any of the Twitter usernames in the quotes with the usernames of the Twitter accounts of the users whose followers you wish to follow.
- Btw if you don’t know where to find a Twitter accounts username, look just above the red lines in the following pic..
How to Run the Script
Ok so to make the script work, ie. to run the script you will need a coding environment to take care of that for you. Now this is really simple so don’t be worried, your essentially going to download a world renowned coding program for your computer, install it, and place our index.php file created above in a certain location and then browse to that location like you would any other website! Let’s begin…
Part 1: Set up the PHP environment to run your file
- Download the program
- If your using windows, go to http://www.wampserver.com/en
- For Mac, go to https://www.mamp.info/en/downloads
- For linux, go to http://sourceforge.net/projects/lampas
- Go to your downloads directory on your computer and install your new application
Part 2: Put your folders/files in place (so that it can be found by your PHP environment) and run your script
- Move the folder you downloaded earlier (in part 1 of ‘How to Set Up the Script’ above) into the localhost folder of your new program
- Ensure the folder with your index.php file (that we created in part 1 above) is also moved into the ‘pilots’ folder, in the localhost folder of your new program
- Browse (on chrome by typing or copying the following into your address bar) to your index.php file in your localhost folder
- It will be something like http://localhost/SocialAutoPilots/Twitter-Auto-Pilot/pilots/<YOUR_FOLDER_NAME>/index.php
- Your browser will now look like its trying to load that webpage that’s stuck, but it is actually executing your script!
- Check the logs.text file (in the same folder as index.php) for detailed info on what your script is doing right now (while it’s being executed)
- Well done.. mission accomplished! Your all set :) Easy, huh?
The Future of this Script
In the near future I plan to add many more types of Twitter functions to this script (and yes it will be available to you too!)
- Follow users of user who have the most followers.
- Follow users of a user with the most tweets.
- Follow users of a user with the most re-tweets.
So now you should have set up a script that will allow you to follow the followers of a certain Twitter user. This is an exceptionally important step forward in growing a strong and engaged following on Twitter.
Don’t forget to share this article if you found it helpful.
Leave a comment here if you need help :)
PS: REALLY IMPORTANT
If you would like this entire tutorial in an eBook / eReader format (.pdf) then simply subscribe below and I will send it to your email address provided.
Keep in mind that I will include many more handy tips and trick in the eBook version, tips which are not present in this tutorial.
-> The biggest tip being how to automate this entire process to gaining followers so that you never have to actually setup or run your script at all.. ! SUBSCRIBE NOW to avoid disappointment.
Here’s what to do next…
- Leave a comment below telling me which point surprised, inspired or taught you the most.
- For those of you who enjoyed the article and would like to read more on the topic, check out iOS App Distribution Using Hockey App Tutorial.