In this day and age, every single person on this planet has goals or aspirations they wish to live up to – big and small.
However as human beings, we often lack the self discipline to move ourselves in the right direction. Now I have personally taken multiple approaches towards achieving that end.. from downloading / creating my own mobile apps & websites to take charge of my goals, using white boards, mind maps, multiple to do lists, task-reward systems, milestone celebrations, following a hierarchy of needs and so on, but while all of these methods are quite beneficial, they need a bottom line. They need a foundation on which to be built.
The technique explored in this post aims provide that concrete foundation & help us gain momentum. So what really helps us gain momentum? I believe there are seven fundamental elements; Spiritual, Physical, Mental, Social, Career, Legacy, Personal.
This element focuses on your core beliefs, strength of character and sense of right and wrong. Many people choose to simply sail along and in doing so, choose to ignore this element. However I believe that in creating spiritual goals, you are indeed adding an extra layer of depth and meaning to your life.
- What do you think about the world your living in?
- Do you hold a set of unquestionable morals?
- Will you allow anyone to break those morals?
- Are you emotionally stable in difficult situations?
- Will you forever be a sheep, or stand up for what you believe in at a moments notice?
This element is all about your body. Your physical abilities such as strength, coordination, flexibility, endurance and so on. How your body responds to illnesses. How it looks, how it feels & how it deals with the way in which you treat it, in the present and in the future.
- Do you feel confident with your current physical shape?
- How can you increase your level of physical shape?
- How long has it been since you were last sick?
- Are you eating foods which you know are causing harm to your body?
- Are you engaging in habits which are damaging or harming your body?
- Do you want to be capable of what less than 1% of the population of the world is capable of? (The human flag, handstand push ups, back flips and the like)
This element essentially covers your brain power. Your creative interests, your ability to learn and remember pieces of information in different situations. Your level of intelligence, how you analyse situations to foresee events and how you reason complex decisions in short spaces of time.
- Do you exercise your brain regularly?
- How often do you feed your brain with new information?
- Do you partake in creative activities such as painting or drawing?
- How do you deal with strenuous cognitive activities?
- Do you find it difficult to think rationally under pressure?
This element encompasses your relationships with other people. People such as your family, your friends & friends friends, your colleagues (who can also be your friends off course) and even random people you meet on the street. How you communicate with all of the above is essential in a healthy lifestyle.
- Are you in a close relationship with your family?
- Do you have many close friends you enjoy spending time with?
- How comfortable are you around your work friends / colleagues?
- How do you communicate with strangers & do you find it easy?
- Would you walk into a room of individuals, and feel comfortable communicating with all of them at once?
This element deals with your career choices. Your profession or area(s) of expertise. How you choose to excel in certain skills. How meaningful you find your job and your plans and prospects for the future of your career.
- Do you love, or even like your job?
- Do you feel your job is both challenging & rewarding?
- How comfortable are you in completing daily tasks?
- How would you describe your work environment?
- What are your plans for the future & is your current job pushing you in the right direction?
This element is all about your contribution to society. The way in which you help the world and anyone in existence, and how better off everyone will be, based on the actions you have taken.
- How tuned in are you to what’s going on in the world?
- How are you helping other people around you?
- Are you a member of any charitable organisations?
- How often do you partake in acts of complete selflessness?
- How are you making an impact?
The last, and likely one of the most important, is an element of a personal nature. This covers everything we do when not focusing on the other elements, and provides us with the juice or energy to charge our batteries and move forward in all other areas of our life. In a nut shell, how we take breaks, how we unwind & relax. How we spend our time, when its time to enjoy ourselves.
- When was the last time you did something fun?
- Are you living a balanced work – play lifestyle?
- How many new hobbies have you picked up this year?
- Can you substitute a hobby or two, for more constructive ones?
- What excites you the most, and how often do you feel that level of excitement?
We should all ask ourselves these questions, think about their meaning frequently, and make note of our answers.
As you may have noticed, all elements supplement each other. So in following at least a few you are in fact covering a larger area. I would suggest choosing three main elements to focus on (for now). Once you are comfortable with those elements, and feel you have a good handle, then take on one more element at a time.
Here’s to locking up YOUR life with a steel chain, moving it in your direction and living the life you always wanted to. I hope you enjoyed reading this as much as I enjoyed writing it!
Here’s what to do next…
- Leave a comment below telling me which point surprised, inspired or taught you the most.
- For those of you who enjoyed the article and would like to read more on the topic, check out 7 Mental Shifts That Will Allow You To Become Unstoppable.